With funding from NHS England, we are drafting a brief guide for CCGs and HWBs to support the development and implementation of Integrated Personal Commissioning and collaborative care through introducing some key approaches which have already proved transformational in care and support systems, but which are less well known in the health sector, and illustrate each with a brief practice example of a health and care intervention already commissioned by or jointly with the NHS. These ‘social innovation’ approaches are:
1. Experts by experience and self-advocacy.
2. Self-Directed Support and personal (health) budgets.
3. Strengths-based or asset-based approaches to health and care.
4. Co-production and citizen-led commissioning.
5. Community development and building community capacity and social capital.
6. Networked models of care which bring the formal/paid and informal/unpaid together.
We will include practice examples which illustrate existing work in the health sector for each of the six principles above. Do you have an example you’d like us to include? If so please send it to alex@SharedLivesPlus.org.uk by February 13th 2015. We prefer brief examples of less than a page of A4, but do please feel free to include pictures and links to further information. Please include as many of these as possible:
· An outline of the approach, ethos and practices/ activities of your practice example
· Actual costs (ballpark is fine) and resources including staffing and volunteers
· Outcomes and impact, ideally with evidence or statistics from an evaluation, use of outcome measuring approaches or user surveys. It’s fine to include things which didn’t work!
· The scale of the example: roughly how many people does it reach a year for instance?
· Any efficiencies or tangible savings generated and any evidence for those claims
· Brief quotes from people using the service or resource and their families and from health commissioners or other NHS colleagues
· Challenges and lessons learned: what should anyone thinking of emulating this example be prepared for or avoid?
· Contact details of organisations able to offer advice or support with developing this kind of intervention
Please only send examples which are current or recent practice examples which have been either commissioned or delivered by or in partnership with an NHS or other UK health body. Our aim is to set out real examples which illustrate how CCGs and HWBs can - and in some places already do – commission and support interventions which embody the principles of collaborative care, individual choice and control and patient and public participation, illustrating approaches with the potential to drive radical change in the NHS, unlocking contributions from people who use health services and their families and communities and making patient and public participation a reality.